Monday, March 31, 2008

Lemalla


When I found out where these words were from I was SHOCKED! The Yiddishe accent really threw me off...check it out-
וּבִשׁוּעָתְךָ תָּרִים וְתַגְבִּיהַּ קַרְנֵנוּ לְמַעְלָה, וְהוֹשִׁיעֵנוּ בְּקָרוֹב לְמַעַן שְׁמֶךָ


"U'vishuas'cha tarim v'sagbiyah karneinu lemalla, v'hoshi'einu be'karov lma'an Shimecha."

"Through Your salvation may You exalt and raise our pride up high, and save us soon for the sake of Your Name." (Birchos Hashachar-(Nusach Sefard))

For a change of pace-I have a Question. What does it mean "לְמַעַן שְׁמֶךָ" "For the sake of Your Name?" We see the same thing in the first Beracha of Shemoneh Esreh- "...u'meivy go'el livnei b'neihem lema'an Shemo be'ahava..." Why are we telling Hashem to redeem us for His sake? Hashem doesn't need to do anything to make His name great! He is perfect in every way!! Who are we to advise Him what to do "For the sake of His Name?!!"
I remember asking this question to a friend of mine during Purim Shana Aleph- I believe he gave me an answer but I really have no recollection of what he said. If anyone has an answer to this question please leave a comment answering it!! I have some ideas but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say...Thanks!

2 comments:

JSJcbs said...

Perhaps an explanation could be as follows: We are not asking Hashem to redeem and save us out of our own selfish desires, but rather out of our love and yearning for Hashem's name to be acknowledged and feared by all the nations of the world. We are not asking Hashem to redeem us so that we will be glorified and praised throughout the world but rather the we want him to save us for his sake so that He will be glorified.

Anonymous said...

Yasher koach - this is a great blog! (Hakaras hatov the heilig Rav Ehrman for pointing it out). I know this blog was posted a while ago, but I just saw it and I think I may have an answer, albeit it with a slightly chassidish bend. The name of HKB"H (YKV"K) represents all the collective sefiros, with the final "Heh" representing malchus, the bottom sefirah (the receptacle to which everything flows). When klal Yisroel were taken into galus, we know, "imo anochi b'tzora" and that final "heh", aka Hashem's malchus, went into galus with us. Therefore, when we ask for Hashem's yeshua, we are really asking that Hashem's Name be complete once again. The way we accomplish this is through the teshuva process - which in Hebrew is made of 2 words, tashuv heh - the return of the final heh to Hashem's name. Hope this clarifies things a bit - thank you again!