Monday, March 17, 2008

Our Objective:


Have you ever been to a simcha where everyone is going nuts, dancing around in circles with the music blasting, and you're "singing along" to the songs? I think we've all been there, but the question is- Do we really know the words? Many a time I've found myself just mumbling along, not knowing a single word. I look around trying to read people's lips, trying to make out the words (cmon you know you've done that!). I think to myself "What am I doing??" These are the words of G-d; The words of Tanach and Chazal... the most amazing, inspirational words. Words that have the ability to really touch your Neshama. And I'm standing there pretending to know the words?! I can be having an aliyah every second I'm on the dance floor! If only I were to concentrate a little less on who is looking at me dancing, or what I have to do next to be the craziest guy there, and concentrate more on what the words that are blasting in my ears are, and what they mean, then every simcha could be an unbelievably uplifting experience! If only we could concentrate less on Samuel, Jack and Johnnie, and start getting "drunk" on Shlomo, David, Ravina and Rav Ashie!!
But therein lies the problem; for the most part, the general "we" don't know the words!! And even if we do, we still have no clue what they mean!! We just run around screaming like a buncha maniacs, making things up as we go along!!
So that is where this blog comes in. I would like to attempt to somewhat solve this big problem of ours. Slowly but surely I hope to compile as many simcha songs (and eventually other types of songs) as i possibly can, with their words, source, meaning, and maybe even something a little deeper.(of course, comments left with requests for info on other songs are greatly appreciated and highly recommended)
Hopefully, with Hakadosh Baruch Hu's help, together we will be able to end this epidemic of our constantly asking "What are the words??" And soon we will all be dancing and singing together in Yerushalayim (knowing exactly what it is we are saying), with the building of the third and final Beis Hamikdash BB"A!

18 comments:

Dani Ross said...

CR.... You are amazing! i have been waiting for something like this for years now! because of you, every simcha in the world is going to be much more "laybadik!" i cant wait to dance at my next wedding!
-May Hashem continue to shower you with tremendous strengths and help you make klal yisroel stronger. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Risa Tzohar said...

Very nice idea. I'm adding this to my 'must read' stuff in my Google Reader. Thanks!

Bas~Melech said...

Thanks for doing this blog. Would you take requests? I can't think of any right now, but there are quite a few songs that I would love to understand...

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome and inspirational! I will be visiting this blog often, bli neider. Keep up the amazing work! It's really cool stuff! You rock CR!

Anonymous said...

Tizku L'mitvos CR, this is helpful even for those who basically understand the words but can easily gain a deeper insight. Can I make a request? Ki Ato Hu Melech (Shlomo Kalish I believe), this is usually sung with a yiddish accent and the words are hard to understand fully. Here's the best I could do:

Ki atoh hu melech malchei ham’lochim,
For You are the King of all Kings,
Malchuso netzach,
Your Kingship is forever.
Noiro sovsicho, sapre’ezo pe’rutz’voh
Awesome are those that surround You, exclaiming and bursting forth:
Kadeshu, romemu,
“He is Kadosh, He is Exalted!”
Roinsher v’shevach
Worthy of song and praise,
Tokeif tehilos tifartoh.
Beautiful praises are appropriate to Him.

CR said...

You're very close, Anonymous-It's actually funny you've requested that. Very soon i'll have that song posted-I've been meaning to post that song, im just waiting for a friend to send me a vort on it- it'll be on soon IY"H- Shkoiyach!!

Chana said...

Great site. What a wonderful fresh idea!!

I run a site which is a directory of web Torah audio sites and we have your site on our recommended listings.

If you wish, feel free to add us to your blogroll:

listenandlearntorah.com

harry-er than them all said...

i love that painting

Anonymous said...

I love this site! to write what the words mean would have been enough. the source would have been enough so then we can go and look it up but u go and write an amazing dvar torah 4 each 1! truely incredible! i've only went through a couple but i hope to read them all be4 yom kipper. they are all so amazing. thank you so much and if u hav time please keep adding. there r definately more then like 30 songs out there. again thanks so much. kativa vchatima tova. may all our prayers be answered this yom kipper and may we be written in the book of life.

Anonymous said...

oh and a got a request. v'haar aneinu. i think its number 25 in the ncsy bencher.

Chana said...

Great idea. Thanks!!

Alan Levin said...

No need to hide your identity, what you are doing is a great deed, you can be proud of it. If you want to really make a difference, you may want to consider taking on one of the creative commons licenses.

A. Caplan said...

my brother introduced this site to me...and i think it's fantastic! i hope you continue to update it so i can stay on top of the latest and greatest niggunim. thanks for your hard work!

Anonymous said...

I found a youtube clip with words to the song Ki Hirbeisa, and I think people would gain from you posting it to this great blog. Thanks.
the clip is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lmL6LkjqbI

Accordin to Bar Ilan, the words are from nussach sefard machzor of Yom Kippur, somewhere in the tefillos of Lail Yom Kippur

AK said...

Is there a way of contacting you with more lyrics? I compiled the Hebrew/English lyrics of Bar Yochai and would really like to share them through your site.

Anonymous said...

this is such a great opportunity, to learn the words and experience the songs, and more. THANKYOU. bracha ve hatzlacha

HAPPY MOMMA said...

Thank you for your labor of love is not in vain!!! Great site!

Ruth said...

B"H thanks for your sincerity to help us understand everywords of the song, may we never stop to giving thanks to HQBH.. always waiting for your updates.. May The Creator Bless you.. ��