Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ko Amar Hashem

כֺּה אָמַר ה': זָכַרְתִּי לָךְ חֶסֶד נְעוּרַיִךְ, אַהֲבַת כְּלוּלֺתָיִךְ, לֶכְתֵּךְ אַחֲרַי בַּמִּדְבָּר בְּאֶרֶץ לֺא זְרוּעָה

"Thus said Hashem: I recall for you the kindness of your youth, the love of your nuptials, your following Me into the Wilderness, into an unsown land." (Yirmiyahu 2:2)

This passuk is referring to Klal Yisrael's amazing faith in Hashem when they followed Him into the desert after being taken out of Mitzrayim. They left without any food other than the Matza baking on their backs; not knowing how they were going to survive. They just knew one thing: Hashem was leading them in a certain direction, so that was obviously the best way to go. They knew, as we still know today, that Hashem would NEVER steer us wrong. If he asks something of us, we are guaranteed that not only are we capable of accomplishing it, but also that it's the best possible thing for us.
In the Torah when it talks about the holiday we call 'Pesach' it doesn't call it by that name. It is called 'Chag Hamatzos' The holiday of Matza. So why do we call it by a different name? I heard from R' Moshe Bamberger that the theme of Pesach is love. This difference in names is a sign of the "conflict" between us and Hashem as to how to approach Yetziyas Mitzrayim. We see it as a clear sign of Hashem's unlimited love for us. He rocked the Egyptians with 10 makos and on the last one he "passed over" (Pesach) us and only killed the Egyptian first born. So to celebrate this affection we feel from Hashem, we call the holiday Pesach. But on the flip side, Hashem sees it differently. He sees Yetziyas Mitzrayim as a sign of our faith and love for Him. He saw us rush to follow Him into an unsown land. We rushed so quickly that we didn't even wait for our bread to rise, and as a result, we have Matza. So that's why Hashem calls the holiday "Chag Hamatzos."
If only we were to realize how much Hashem loves us, life would be so much more enjoyable. 'Kol mon de'avid Rachmana, letav avid!!' Everything Hashem does is for the GOOD! The Boss is on our side! He's got our backs! We have it made!

~
(Top pic courtesy of TravelBlog)
(Bottom pic courtesy of DailyJews)

9 comments:

Bas~Melech said...

Another suggestion:
(Can't believe no one thought of this one yet. Or maybe you did and just haven't had a chance to post it yet.)

The Number One song that Everyone has heard yet nearly No one understands:
Ki attah... kadisheehee... who knows all the words to the second part? And where does it come from, anyway?

(Well, I happen to have uncovered the answers myself, but I'll leave it to you to post...)

Bas~Melech said...

Oh, and BTW, congrats on hitting another of my favorites.

CR said...

I actually have that song prepared, I'm just waiting for a friend of mine to write up a vort for it- it should be up soon...

Anonymous said...

You wrote:
your following Me into the Wilderness.

Please fix the word "your" to "you're"
Thank you

CR said...

I believe the word "your" is correct. It's not saying that "you are following Me into the Wilderness..." it is just another thing that Hashem is recalling. He remembers the kindness of our youth, the love of our nuptials, and our following Him into the midbar (the FACT that we followed Him into the midbar...)
To be honest with you, I had to read it through a couple of times before I understood it too- I also originally thought it was a typo. But thanks for looking out for me, I appreciate it.
-Everyone should feel free to correct me on ANY mistakes I make, be it spelling, grammar, or questions of the validity of the sources or vortlach that I mention…Shkoiyach!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for confirming the spelling. I appreciate the explanation. Be well
-Chananel G.

Ibn Mordechai said...

CR! I love you! I can't get enough of these songs and vortlach. I regularly refer people to your site(not to put any pressure on you).

Anonymous said...

HEY BUDDY ITS FLEK!!!! Thanks so ,much for putting up Koh Amar. I'm still waiting for eilecha (from Mizmor L'David) I am in the HOLYLAND now. there is so much kedusha here its amazing. Hope to see u soon.

Tiffany S said...

Thhis was a lovely blog post